Position: Clerk or Assistant Director
Applications will be accepted until November 18, 2020.
- High school diploma
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to complete special projects while maintaining routine duties
- Punctuality and dependability
- Working knowledge of common computer applications including Microsoft Office products and the Internet
- Consistent display of public service attitude
- Ability to work with patrons of varied backgrounds, ages, and abilities
- Review and update all social media used by the library
Essential Physical Functions:
- Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 25 lbs. and push carts weighing up to 200 lbs.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time as well as the ability to bend, reach, stoop, or crouch
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate in writing and verbally
- Sufficient vision which permits the employee to produce and review a wide variety of materials in both electronic and hard copy form
- Ability to work effectively under stress conditions in a fast-paced environment
- Greets and assists patrons throughout the library
- Handles check-out/check-in using the library management software and shelving functions following established guidelines and procedures
- Responds to patron questions regarding their library account, including holds/reserves, interlibrary loan, registering new patrons, program registration, collecting fines, and other library account issues following established guidelines and procedures
- Locates and retrieves library materials requested by patrons
- Runs basic office equipment – fax machine, copier, scanner, electronic cash register, computer – to provide services to the public
- Assists with library programs and events
- Assists library patrons with utilizing public access computers and microfilm reader, printing, as well as accessing the library’s WiFi
- Enforces library policies using a polite and professional approach
- Aides with interlibrary loan duties
- Accepts special assignments or duties in support of the library’s goals and objectives
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Deckerville Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Clerk Position Summary:
Under the supervision of the Director, the Clerk is responsible for covering the public service desk, which entails working closely with library patrons and handling materials. The nature of this work requires daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities in addition to Essential Duties:
- Refers patron queries and issues beyond the Clerk’s scope of authority to library administration
- Maintains neat and orderly library appearance which includes assisting with library inventory, shelf reading, and light cleaning tasks
Assistant Director Position Summary:
Under the supervision of the Director, the Assistant Director is responsible for handling library interloan activities, overdue materials, and social media accounts. The Assistant Director will also cover the public service desk and associated duties. The Assistant Director will also assume the duties of the Director when he/she is absent.
The Assistant Director’s administrative duties will be to:
- Assume all necessary duties of the librarian when he/she is absent.
The Assistant Director’s technical duties will be to:
- Coordinate interlibrary loan materials
- Maintain current records on overdue materials and implement the procedures for their return
- Keep daily fiscal and statistical records
- Perform any other technical duties assigned by the Director
The Assistant Director’s clerical duties will be to:
- Prepare materials for circulation
- Shelve materials
- Operate basic office machines
- Check in orders
- Perform any other clerical duties assigned by the Director